Today is Yogi Berra’s 90th birthday. The Yankee great is famous for not only his play as a baseball player but also for his sayings, such as “Half the lies they tell about me aren’t true.”
He was so popular he was said to inspire the name of Yogi Bear, a popular cartoon character who lived in Jellystone Park. And what did he like saying? He was “smarter than the average bear!”
But here’s where we come full circle: Jellystone Parks are now a real-life camp/resort too!
And that brings me to today’s topic: Camps. (I realize that’s a long way to go for this introduction, but so be it.)
Tomorrow, my partners Linda Yoder and Leander Dolphin present a webinar entitled: “Top Tips for Accommodations under the ADA – Who’s Ready for Summer Camp?”
Indeed, with summer just around the corner, summer camps and youth services providers are making preparations for the fast-approaching camp season. This webinar will discuss the Americans with Disabilities Act’s (ADA) application to camp and other youth programs, and a review of top tips to consider, including accommodations, modifications of policies and procedures, provision of auxiliary aids, and safety concerns.
The webinar will cover frequently asked questions such as:
- Who is considered “disabled” under the ADA?
- Is our summer camp or youth services program required to comply with the ADA?
- How do we determine if our organization’s programs, buildings and grounds are ADA accessible?
- How do we respond to requests for accommodation?
- Are we required to modify policies and procedures?
- How do we determine whether an accommodation is reasonable?
- What if there are competing and conflicting requests for accommodation?
- How do we respond to safety concerns?
- What steps can we take to ensure that our contracts protect us from liability or other concerns?
It’s scheduled for 1p Eastern Time. To sign up, you can click here.
And lest you think you can’t learn a lot from a webinar, remember this quote from Yogi Berra: “You Can Observe a Lot By Just Watching.”